Monday, March 7, 2011

Archibald sitting with Jasper Knight






This afternoon I went down to Jasper Knight's studio and met him for the first time, to have an a sitting for this years Archibald.

The studio was a large warehouse in Surrey hills, shared by 5 other artists. With his gallery down the road, another down south, and a brand new show about to open at Metro 5 gallery, Jasper is a modern artist. Connected as fluidly with  the business, and marketing side of being a artist as he is with the production of his stunning pieces.

I arrived with my boyfriend and we watched as he finished up some of his paintings of trucks and cars on yellow perspex.

We chatted about some of the people that we had in common, and he showed us photos of his wife and new baby boy. I talk about almost anything with a subject until I can see their hands stop twitching and their facial musicals relax, and then they can reveal something inside themselves, beyond our surface conversation.

When I look back over drawings and photos that I have taken it's this eureka moment that I discovered with the subject, and will try to capture later on the canvas.

The night before I stayed up drawing playing with colour, and drawing portraits to free up my mind, and loosen my hand. Bright, bold colour combinations shot across the pages, and I could see the Archibald forming in my mind.

I want to create something that is totally out there, but also manage to capture that genuine expression, a face that know's a thing or two about something. A face that is Jasper Knight's.

No comments:

Post a Comment