Thursday, March 3, 2011

Making LUCY LUSH










Here's some photo's of me working in the studio on some collages, that a friend of mine took.

Often my best paintings are a mix of accidental experiments and a magical creative hurricane where everything seems to work out. Similarly my worst paintings find me going over and over the same painted territory, each brush stroke worse than the last.
THe above drawing "Lucy lush" was a good creative moment. Working like this is a bit hit and miss. First the collage has to have some zing to it, and then the drawing over the top has to work out. I work on 10-15 at a time and there's a 50% success rate. Indelible ink is unforgiving, and I guess that's why I like it. I like to gamble with my work......throw the dice, even get angry with it. The best ones can come out of some serious frustration.

I'm working on several commissions at the moment. Lucy Lush had 3 reserves at the exhibition, on her so I am having some fun, working on these in my studio. Drawing is a great way to ease your way back in to the creative process after a break. If you fuck it up, so what it's just a piece of paper. No pressure, and you can't be too precious.

Also I'm really chuffed that that this year I'm painting Jasper Knight for the Archibald……..NO reclining nudes in flower beds….Don't worry Jasper!
It's really exciting, as I've always really dug his paintings, and hope to really attack that canvas, and do my own version of that famous beard.

Stay tuned for my Etsy store where you will be able to buy prints of my work. That's coming soon, but not before I take  off on a holiday to Bali.....got to get some down time and fresh inspiration in before things get super busy again.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Mia! Look forward to meeting you soon sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete