Friday, April 22, 2011

KNIGHT RIDER PORTAIT SELECTED FOR THE SALON DES REFUSES 2011


I was honoured to have been selected for this years Salon Des Refuses alongside artists such as Wendy Sharpe, Guy Maestri, and Martine Emdur.

The Salon Des Refuses choose their selection from over 800 entries, with the Archibald selecting the first 40 paintings and the Salon selecting a following 40 paintings from the remaining entries.

The Salon Des Refuses creates a show that in in it's own words "Rivals the official selection, and is prestigious in it's own right" Having a good opportunity to have a look at both exhibitions I can honestly agree with them that there are several paintings that are superior to some of those selected for this years Archibald Prize.

My favourites pieces in the exhibition were a striking black and white portrait by Alan Jones, a stand out piece by Sally Ross, and a beautiful golden landscape by Robert Malherbe.

Without the looming $50,000 prize that someone must win there was a real comaraderie between the artists, all in all an relaxed and happy event, where people mingled, and the speach's were low key, and funny...phew!

On the night I had the good fortune to meet Martine Emdur, and Craig Handley who also shows in the same Sydney gallery as me at Richard Martin Gallery. Martine is a great ambassador for women in the arts, and really any artist who wants to become successful. I was overjoyed to find her down to earth with a great sense of fun.

It was fantastic to see my Subject Jasper Knight seeing and standing next to his portrait for the first time. While it wasn't an entirely realistic portrait, he thought that the eyes had it! a feature that I've left out so many times before.


It's a really interesting show, well worth having a look at, and if you like my portrait you can vote for me in the people's choice award. It's $2000. Think of all the brushes, and paint, and champagne I will be able to buy!

Salon Des Refuses
SH IRVIN GALLERY
Observatory hill, Sydney
ON UNTIL JUNE 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment