Tuesday, November 22, 2011

MY AWESOME NEW WAREHOUSE




I've been needing to get a bigger studio space for a while now.While my beautiful little studio  down in Clovelly has been ideal it's become impractical.
When I'm working on 2 shows, and getting requests from galleries in cities that I haven't showed in before, my space chokes up with paintings quickly and without adequate storage they spill out all around the house. It's been like living in a gallery, or a gallery's store room until now........

3 days ago my boyfriend  and I signed the lease on our new warehouse space in Mascot
The 220msq space is huge open plan, double story self contained building. Originally we were planning on moving in February after the completion of my Gold Coast exhibition, but when this opportunity came up through a friend, at such a great price we couldn't resist taking it on.

This isn't the first time that I've lived in a warehouse, I did it in Paris, and I've done it in Australia in Bondi Junction above a gallery, and yeah I've forgone a few things that some people never would just to have the space. Like no electricity in my studio in Paris...BRRR, to just plain no bathroom in Bondi Junction, which at first didn't bother me, because my boyfriend of the time and I just had cold showers in the garden by the veggie patch in the summer, and in winter I joined a GYM to errm get fit and use their bathroom. After 4 months I had enough of that, but it was worth it to have the experience of living and working in The Eastern suburbs in a huge, and charming space.

Perhaps I've out grown my taste for experiences for things like that, because the first thing I made sure was that this place had a shower, and HOT water. Packing up my stuff the other day I started hyperventilating when I realized how far it was from the beach, and all of my favorite cafe's.
But this decision is no different from all the rest that I've made in my life since becoming an artist, and that is that my painting and creative life comes first. The rest is secondary.

we're 3 days into a mamoth repainting job, and it's exciting to see this once ugly office building transform itself into a modern, open plan, stunner. Every new space is great for an artists work, and a whole lotta space is the best thing of all.

 Hipp Hipp Horray for The new Space!

1 comment:

  1. Is that your new place? Wow! It’s so spacious and wide. I love the fact that it has high, elevated ceilings, it allows more air inside. So far in the photos, the place is looking great. I bet it’d be awesome once you’ve moved all your things. Everything will look fresh and homey. =)

    ReplyDelete