Tuesday, June 28, 2011

LIFE DRAWING and DRAWING ON LIFE



When I started blogging last year I wanted to write about love, so I pulled out my old diaries and poetry and bared my soul. Basically I wanted to write, another medium of expression without barriers that I don't earn my living off or need to pretty up for public consumption. The stars blog didn't earn me a lot of appreciation for my writing, rather it earned me a couple of cyber stalkers, and inappropriate comments.

This blog has taken me on an interesting journey too. Every couple of days people write to me who read the blog.A journalist from Queensland Homes after featuring my work in her magazine recommended that people follow my blog. This has given me encouragement to keep going.
Thanks everyone for reading so far.

Meanwhile in the studio:

Last week I delivered a commission to it's new beachside home. It looked great out of paint streaked studio, and in it's fresh new environment.
The sale of 2 drawing/collages to a Melbourne collector (the last of the series) has me working on a whole bunch of fresh  ones. I'm really excited about these new collages, such beautiful colours, and textures.I'll also be doing a new size……..little mini masterpieces priced at $350 and they will be available in my online shop.

I've finished my piece for the Mosman Art prize, a girl with a giant bird inspired by my trip to Bali. Had a life drawing session with my beautiful and talented artist friend Stephanie Tetu, which these blog drawings are from, begun to do prints, and a printing business, and received my first  review from a critic………A strange experience, as it's very different from all the press releases that you send out, that get taken up by enthusiastic magazine stylists, editors, and journos. This is something that you have no control over whatsover.

The critic sasha Grishin made an unfavourable remarke about my portrait of Jasper Knight recently hung in the Salon Des Refuses, in an article that he wrote commenting on the Archibald, Doug Moran, and Salon Des Refuses. The excitement of getting in to a prize like this is really the next step in an artistic career. Next steps as I was to find out also leave you open to public critism.....At first it was a shock, but now I can I only really take it as a compliment that he included me in article with the most successful and innovative artists of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment